Monday, July 22, 2013

Dear family and friends,

Trying to do better about writing more. I am doing very well and loving it here in Vallarta. The weather is just like Houston, so that means a lot of sweating and if I thought I was dark before, I am definitly finding my native american roots (and skin tones). 

We are doing well and working closely with many people here. Both members, those that have strayed from the path, and those that have yet to find it. Our area and companionship is doing well. We are almost entirely focused in one neighborhood/pueblito and so it is a big change from the monstrous area in Auditorio. But we had an incredible expereince that I will never forget this week. An older sister who had not attended a church meeting in over 20 years (when they still met in the homes of members) open her doors to us and after teaching the restoration where the Spirit was present and strong, and after following up on the Book of Mormon and her reading, she accepted the invitation to attend Sunday. The service was incredible and the Spirit abound. She was able to be with her grandson who was baptized recently. When she introduced herself in Gospel Principles she stood to say, I am Sister Guadalupe, I not been able to come for many many years, but thanks to these good young men I am back again. It brought a feeling more powerful than the majority of the baptsimal services I have attended. Upon leaving after the services concluded, she expressed that she wants all of her family to be there with her and that she will be back. She is a strong and well learned woman and plays the role of a matriarch in a large extended family that all live in the same little neighborhood. We look forward to working with her and her family knowing the joy that is well within reach as she shares her newfound testimony with her loved ones.

Personally I am happy. We now live 5 blocks from a little park. We go in the morning and run now several times a week. It felt so good this week to put on my old Nikes that I brought with me from Rice and go for a brief 15 minute run. Though I am nothing like I was before, I was pleased to find I had not lost all condition and hope. If only we had more time in the mornings to dedicate to exercise! But all is well, staying focused on why I am here. But it sure did feel good to open up the stride a little the last 6 minutes or so. Hope to make it a habit. The path goes around 3 open soccer fields and is just under a half mile (by my rough pace calculations).

Hope everyone is doing great and enjoying their summer. I am well, happy, and working and praying hard. 

With love,
Elder Brighton

No comments:

Post a Comment